Grilled beef is the perfect ingredient for so many summertime dishes. From tacos to steak salad, you’ll be enjoying this delicious grilled beef tri-tip the entire summer long. The combination of a dry rub and basting the beef while grilling creates a blackened outside with a juicy, delicious inside. Easy to make, this grilled beef freezes well too.
discover. cook. enjoy.
GF DF Santa Maria Tri-Tip Grilled Beef
- Combine salt, pepper, garlic powder, parprika, onion powder, rosemary, and cayenne pepper in small bowl.
- Place the beef roast on a sheet pan, cover lightly with sunflower oil, and coat on all sides with the the spice blend.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refridgerate for at least 4 hours.
Make the Basting Sauce
- After 4 hours, remove the beef from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature for 30 minutes.
- During this time, combine in a small mixing bowl, the vinegar, sunflower oil, crushed garlic, and Dijon mustard. Mix well.
Grilling the Beef
- Preheat the grill to high and lightly oil the grates.
- Once heated, place the beef on the grill and brush with the basting sauce. Cook beef for 5 minutes, flip, baste, and then repeat the flipping and basting every 5 minutes, for a total of 25-30 minutes or until the internal temperature reahces 130 degrees. (use an probe thermometer to check temp)
- Remove from the grill and let rest at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Serving and Storage
- Cut the beef into slice and eat right away, or portion in containers and freeze up to two months.