Sometimes you do things or don’t do things for no good reason. For me, not making homemade Chex mix for 15.9 of the 16 years I have been gluten-free is one of those things I just never did. I don’t have a reason, which, to be honest, perplexes me. But now that I have made it, I can’t stop eating it!
Snack mixes are not something we gluten-free get to enjoy very often. We can make our own trail mix, yes, but a crunchy, delicious snack the glutenful folks enjoy without thinking is typically not something we can also enjoy.
If you have never made your own Chex mix, do it TODAY! It will change your life! It’s very quick and easy to make, and you should be able to easily find the ingredients at your local grocery store on Amazon.
- Corn Chex: https://amzn.to/3HCvsiM
- Rice Chex: https://amzn.to/3wXPiQA
- Snack Factory Pretzel Crackers: https://amzn.to/3RCishO
- Schar Plain Breadsticks: https://amzn.to/3jqhg4s
- Planters Cocktail Peanuts: https://amzn.to/3X7caYD
- If you are dairyful, use unsalted butter instead of Earth Balance.
- If you can’t find or don’t want to use Snack Factory Pretzel Crackers, use GF pretzels from Snyders or Glutino.
- If you can’t find or don’t want to use Schar Bread Sticks, find a GF cracker you like, and break it into bite-size pieces.
- If you want your Chex mix to have a spicy kick, add a bit of your favorite hot sauce to the sauce recipe.
- The flavor of the Chec mix is more intense after it has cooled for 24 hours.
discover. cook. enjoy.
The BEST Chex Mix Recipe, EVER!
- 4.5 cups Rice Chex
- 4.5 cups Corn Chex
- 1.5 cups peanuts, Planters cocktail
- 2 cups Pretzel crackers, Snack Factory or GF pretzels
- 2 cups Schar Breadsticks, plain
- 8 tbsp Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1.25 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- .5 tsp black pepper
- .5 tsp paprika
Mise en Place
- Gather all your ingredients. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees. You will need a sheet pan for this recipe.
Prep the Snack Mix
- Measure and add the corn, rice Chex, and peanuts into a large mixing bowl.
- Measure the Pretzel Cracker and break up into bite-sized pieces before adding to the mixing bowl. Do the same with the Schar Breadsticks.
Prep the Sauce
- Add the Earth Balance to a microwave-proof cup or bowl and cook for 30 seconds or so until the Earth Balance is melted. Add the Worcestershire. Measure the garlic powder, onion powder, Kosher salt, black pepper, and paprika and add to the bowl. Stir well to combine.
Bake the Snack Mix
- Slowly pour half the sauce over the snack mix and use your hands or a spoon to combine. Pour the rest of the sauce over the snack mix and combine. Make sure your snack mix is well coated.
- Transfer the snack mix to a sheet pan and spread out evenly on the pan. Bake 60 minutes in a 250-degree oven, mixing every 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- The snack mix's flavors will intensify as it cools. Once room temperature, transfer to a storage bag or serve. The snack mix will taste the best the next day. Enjoy!