Many times I feel that being dairy-free is more challenging than being gluten-free. Cheese is one of the most difficult ingredients to replace and most “fake cheese” options are just horrid in both taste and texture.
So that’s why I choose not to replace the cheese, but instead, make a pizza that is so delicious you’ll say, “I don’t even miss the cheese!”
Although the combination of cilantro pesto, shrimp, and leeks may sound a bit weird, after you take your first bite you will agree that this gluten-free, dairy-free pizza is packed with flavor and cheeseless deliciousness! And don’t miss the lemon aioli—it adds even more flavor and creaminess.
Watch the video to the end for a BONUS recipe!!
You will need our gluten-free pizza crust recipe for this pizza and you can find it HERE.
If you have any questions about the pizza crust-making process, please message me here and I will respond within 24 hours.
discover. cook. enjoy.
GF DF Cilantro Pesto, Shrimp, and Leek Pizza
For the Cilantro Pesto
- 4 cups cilantro, fresh, leaves and stems
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup cashews, unsalted
- 2 cloves garlic, small to medium sized
- 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the Pizza
For the Lemon Aioli
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lemon, juiced
- In the video, I use more of each pizza ingredient so I will have leftovers for an additional pasta dish. If you wish to do this increase the ingredients to this: 1 pound shrimp, 4 oz. Prosciutto, 1 large leek.
Mise en Place
- Slice and clean the leeks if needed and set aside. Only use the lighter part of the leek and not the dark leaves.
- If the Proscuitto, Pancetta, or bacon you are using is not sliced or diced, slice into small pieces. Set aside.
- Thaw the shrimp and once thawed, pat dry and season with Old Bay on both sides. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. If using a pizza stone, add it before you start the oven.
- Pull your frozen crust out of the freezer.
Make the Pesto
- Toast the cashews by adding them to a small, cold skillet. Turn heat to medium high and toast until you JUST START to smell the cashews. Remove from the heat and let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Peel the garlic cloves and add to your food processor. Add the cooled cashews to the processor. Pulse a few time to break up the nuts and garlic. Now add half of the cilantro and some of the oil. Pulse a few times. Add the rest of the cilantro, some oil and the nutritional yeast and mix until the the cilantro is mostly chopped. Now add the oil slowly, while mixing if your food processor allows, until about 1/8 of a cup is left.
- Check the flavor and add salt and pepper as needed. Also check the level of oil in the pesto and add more oil if needed. Remove the finished pesto from the food processor into a small bowl and set aside.
Cook the Prosciutto, Leeks, and Shrimp
- Add the Prosciutto to a cold medium skillet and set heat to medium high. Cook until most of the fat has rendered out (there will not be much) and it begins to crisp. Remove from the pan but leave the heat on the pan.
- Add a small bit of sunflower or olive oil to the pan and then add the leeks. Cook until opaque and softer but not brown. Remove leeks from the pan but leave the heat on the pan.
- Add another small bit of sunflower or olive oil to the pan and then add the shrimp. Do not overlap the shrimp. Cook on the one side until you start to see opacity around the edges and then flip each shrimp. Remove the shrimp when they start to curl and are opaque.
- Once the shrimp have cooled enough to be able to hold them, slice each one horizontally.
Make the Pizza
- Add about 2 oz of the pesto the pizza crust. Then add the leeks, Prosciutto, and shrimp so that there will be a piece or two on every slice.
- Place the pizza in a preheated 400 degree oven and cook for about 15 minutes or until the crust reaches your desired level of color and crispiness.
Make the Lemon Aioli
- While the pizza is in the oven, measure and mix the mayo, Worcestershire, and lemon juice together and add to a squeeze bottle.
Finishing the Pizza
- Remove and let cool a few minutes. Drizzle the aioli over the pizza using as much or as little as you like. Slice into eight slices and enjoy!
Bonus Recipe for Leftovers
- Cook one box of Barrila or Ronzoni fettuccine pasta according to the box instructions. Reserved a about a cup of the pasta water before you drain the pasta. Do NOT rinse the pasta.
- Add pasta back into the pan you cooked it in. Add pesto and stir. Add more or less pesto as desired. Now, add the leftover shrimp, leeks, and Prosciutto and mix into the pasta, adding pasta water as need to keep it moist. Serve in bowls with a drizzle of the lemon aioli and garnish with chopped parsely and red pepper flakes if desired.