Leftover chicken screams to be made into a chicken salad! I really think I love chicken salad so much more than the roasted chicken it came from. Well, duh, of course, I do! I love mayo!
Each ingredient in this chicken salad recipe has a purpose and adds flavor, texture, or both. What’s great about a salad like chicken salad is that you can customize it, your way, adding different ingredients, flavors, and textures.
My chicken salad recipe is flavorful, creamy, and delicious, and incorporates well-seasoned roasted chicken, fresh herbs and veggies, mayo, dairy-free sour cream, and more.
It’s perfect to eat by itself (which I do often), and here are a few other ways you can serve it:
- As the star of a salad with tomatoes and other veggies. You could add a wee bit of Italian vinaigrette for an additional layer of flavor.
- On lightly toasted gluten-free bread. If you are dairyful, add some smoked gouda, or swiss cheese. And to take it to the next level, use a Panini press to heat and “smash” your sandwich.
- Core grape tomatoes and fill with chicken salad for an easy, fun appetizer.
- On grilled romaine leaves, garnished with finely chopped tomato and crumbled bacon, as an appetizer or a meal.
No matter how you eat this chicken salad, I am fairly certain it will bring you much joy!
discover. cook. enjoy.
Kitchen Gear and Products We Love
We have found that having the right tools in the kitchen can really help make cooking more fun and easy. Check out our favorite tools here! Also check out the gluten-free, dairy-free products we use and love here!
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Luscious and Creamy Chicken Salad Recipe
- 14 oz roasted chicken, breast or dark meat, or both
- 2 ribs celery, medium to fine dice
- 1/4 medium red onion, fine dice
- 1 tbsp parsley, fresh, fine chop, or use 1 tsp dried
- 1/4 tsp tarragon, fresh, fine chop, or use 1/2 tsp dried
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Simple Truth Plant Based Sour Cream
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- dash fish sauce, optional
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- splash lemon juice
- Slice the roasted chicken into small pieces and add to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Finely dice the celery and red onion, and finely chop the parsley and tarragon add to the bowl with the chicken. You may want to add more or less of the celery and red onion to suit your taste.
- In a small mixing bowl, measure and add the mayo, sour cream, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and fish sauce. Add the parsley and tarragon and mix to combine. Taste and season with kosher salt and pepper as desired.
- Add half of the sauce you just made to the chicken and mix to combine. Keep adding sauce until you have achieved the consistency you desire. You may or may not use all the sauce.
- Taste and add Kosher salt and pepper as desired. Squeeze a bit of lemon over the salad and mix to combine.
- Eat right out of the bowl, add to a salad, make a sandwich with your favorite gluten-free bread or serve with gluten-free crackers. See my favorite cracker in the equipment section.