So many mayo-based sauces, so little time to eat them! Well, not really, I think sometimes the desire for a sauce fuels my meal plans.
Like cocktail sauce, bottled tartar sauce is just not very good, so I make my own instead. The addition of both sweet and dill pickles, combined with capers and tarragon, makes this tartar sauce flavorful and the perfect companion for any seafood dish, especially our delectable crab cakes.
discover. cook. enjoy.
GF DF Flavorful Tartar Sauce
- 1 cup Best Foods / Hellman's Real Mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup dill pickle, chopped
- 1/8 cup sweet pickle, chopped
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 tbsp capers, chopped
- 1 tbsp Italian parsley, fresh and finely chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/2 tsp Worcheshire sauce
- 1/4 tsp hot sauce, optional
- Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
Mise en place
- Gather all your ingredients.
- Chop the pickles and add to a medium mixing bowl.
- Chop the capers and add to the bowl.
- Finely chop the parsley and add to the bowl.
- Dice the shallot and add to the bowl.
- Squeeze the lemon and measure out 2 teaspoons and add to the bowl.
Measure and Mix
- Measure and add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl.
- Mix well.
- Season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Cover and put in the refrigerator for an hour or so for the flavors to meld. Or, eat right away!
- Store in the fridge for up to a week, covered.