Pulled pork is such a versatile ingredient that can be used in sandwiches, tacos, main dishes, and more. But, maybe you don’t have access to a smoker or have the 12-18 hours it takes to smoke a pork shoulder. That’s where the instant pot comes in!
You will be amazed at the depth of flavor, tenderness, and smoky flavor you’ll get from this easy and quick recipe.
discover. cook. enjoy.
GF DF Insanely Delicious Easy Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- 4 lbs pork shoulder
For the Pork Rub
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp ground coffee
- 2 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Yellow Mustard
For Searing the Pork
For Cooking the Pork
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic left whole
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 drops Liquid Smoke
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup water
Mise en Place for the Pork
- Gather all your ingredients.
- Measure and mix all the dry ingredients for the pork rub into a prep bowl. The mustard will go directly on the pork later.
- Trim excess fat from the pork shoulder.
- Cut the pork into baseball-sized pieces and place on a sheet pan and set aside.
Season the Pork
- Coat the pork liberally with mustard on all sides.
- Sprinkle the seasoning/rub mix liberally on all sides of the pork and rub into the pork.
- Cover the sheet pan with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours. More time equals more flavor!
Mise en Place for the Sear and Cook
- Chop onion into small chunks and place in a prep bowl.
- Juice the lime and place in a prep bowl.
- Smash the cloves of garlic and place in a prep bowl
- Get your bay leaves out and ready.
- Measure out the chicken stock and water
Sear the Pork
- Add 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil to a cast-iron skillet and set heat to medium-high.
- Once the oil is very hot, work in batches so you don't crowd the pan, and add pork to the pan. The goal is to achieve a very hard sear. The darker the better.
- Once you have achieved a hard sear on one side, flip the pork and sear another side. Continue the process until all sides are seared.
- Remove the pork from the pan and add the rest of the pork, replicating the steps above.
Into the Instant Pot!
- Add the seared pork to the Instant Pot.
- Add the garlic, onion, lime juice, Liquid Smoke, and bay leaves to the Instant Pot.
- Add the chicken stock and the water to the Instant Pot. Make sure the liquid fills half of the pot. If not, add more chicken stock or water.
- Pressure cook on high for 45 minutes.
Shred and Enjoy!
- Remove the pork from the Instant Pot to a cutting board or sheet pan.
- Shred the port with two forks.
- Ladle a bit of the juice from the Instant Pot onto the pork and mix to combine. This will add even more flavor to the pork.
- Eat the pork now or freeze in individual freezer bags for later use.