Chicken Shawarma is a middle-eastern dish that you would typically find on the street, served in a pita or wrap. This version is baked in the oven, easy, and so freakin’ delicious, you’ll find yourself eating way more than you planned!
It’s so easy to make, too. Marinate, bake, crisp, and serve.
Any way you serve it, as a dinner entree over yellow rice, in a wrap, or just by itself with some Tzatziki sauce, you will be adding this to your regular dinner rotation. Don’t miss the “restaurant quality” trick at the end that will add even more flavor and texture.
I used boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, and you can substitute chicken breast if you like.
For a full meal, serve with Saffron Rice, Tzatziki Sauce, and Cucumber, Tomato Salad.
Or, serve in a wrap with the rice (or no rice) Tzatziki Sauce, cut cucumbers and tomatoes, and feta cheese if you are dairyful.
Double the recipe if you want to serve more than 4-6, or for leftovers the next day.
discover. cook. enjoy.
Crazy Delicious Oven-Baked Chicken Shawarma
- 2 lb chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large lemons, juiced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp turmeric, ground
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 large red onion, quartered
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil, for baking and crisping
Mise en Place
- Gather all your ingredients. Mince the garlic and juice the lemon.
Marinate the Chicken
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, large enough to fit the chicken and marinade, add the oil, lemon juice, and garlic. Measure and add the kosher salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, and red pepper flakes. Mix well to combine. Add the chicken thighs and stir to coat. Put a lid on the bowl (or cover with plastic wrap) and refrigerate for 4 hours.
Bake the Chicken
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Add a teaspoon of olive oil to a sheet pan and spread to lightly coat the pan.
- Pull the chicken from the fridge. Quarter the red onion and add to the chicken and marinade and stir to coat the onions.
- Add the chicken and the marinade to the sheet pan. Spread out the chicken pieces, so they do not touch and are flat. Spread the onions around the chicken.
- Bake at 425 degrees for about 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is done. Removed from the oven and transfer the chicken and onions to a cutting board.
Crisp the Chicken and Serve
- Slice the chicken and onions into strips. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a skillet set to medium-high. Add the chicken and onions and cook until the chicken pieces begin to curl.
- Remove from the pan, serve, and enjoy!
3 thoughts on “Crazy Delicious Oven-Baked Chicken Shawarma”
This dish is deee-licious! I served it over yellow rice with tzatziki. Definitely in the regular rotation now! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Thank you for your comment!! I am so happy you loved the dish!
Pingback: Addictive & Delicious Garlic Whip (Toum) Dipping Sauce | Dairy-Free
Comments are closed.