Rice can be a gluten-free person’s go-to carby side dish, and that is surely true for me. Gluten-free pasta is good, but I like to have other side dishes in my recipe arsenal.
White rice is good. Brown rice is healthier and more nutritious. And Saffron / Yellow rice? Well, that’s where the flavor is. I make this rice all the time and just can’t stop eating it!
This recipe is quick and easy and starts on the stove and finishes in the oven.
- Use long-grain white rice or basmati rice for this recipe.
- If you are dairyful, swap the Earth Balance for unsalted butter
- If you don’t have or like shallots, use yellow onion.
- Saffron is not cheap, but so worth the investment for this recipe. The burst of flavor is unmatched with store-bought yellow rice mixes. Those don’t use much saffron at all (some don’t have ANY) and rely on turmeric for color. Saffron is a flavor as much as it is a color.
- Serve with Tomato and Cucumber Salad, Lamb, Chicken Shawarma, Black beans, or any Middle Eastern, Greek, or Spanish dishes.
discover. cook. enjoy.
Quick & Easy Saffron / Yellow Rice Side Dish
Mise en Place
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. You will need a medium-sized, oven-proof saucepan with a lid.
- Measure out the Earth Balance, rice, chicken stock, and saffron.
- Dice the shallot and mince the garlic and place in prep bowls.
Start on the Stove
- Set the stove to medium and add the Earth Balance to the saucepan. When melted, add the shallot and garlic and cook until the shallot is soft. Season lightly with kosher salt. You don't want any color on either ingredient.
- Add the rice, bay leaf and saffron, stir and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth and increase the temperature to medium-high. Bring to a boil.
Finish in the Oven
- Put a lid on the saucepan and place in a 400 degree oven for 17 minutes. Remove from the oven, fluff the rice and serve. You can let the rice sit for while and it will stay warm if you keep the lid on.
- NOTE: all ovens are different so you may need more than the 17 minutes. If all the liquid is not absorbed after 17 minutes, return to the oven and check every five minutes.